Ministers of the Word
At St. Michael’s Cathedral Basilica, the Ministers of the Word (or Lectors) serve the liturgical assembly by proclaiming Sacred Scripture during the Liturgy of the Word. The competent exercise of this role enables the Church to hear the Word of God more clearly and receive it more readily. Leads the Prayer of the Faithful in the absence of the deacon.
Your Responsibilities will include:
- Filling in a volunteer application form first and returning it to Pastoral Associate. You have an interview with the Pastoral Associate before you start. This Position is a Low Risk position; therefore, a police check is not needed.
- You must also be at least 18 years of age.
- Prepares for her/his role by rehearsing, praying over and coming to understand the biblical text assigned her/him for a particular liturgical celebration.
- Participates fully in the Liturgy as an exemplary member of the assembly.
- Proclaims the biblical text with clarity, conviction, dignity and understanding.
- Expresses reverence and decorum in carrying out this and other aspects of her/his role according to the general liturgical norms (procession, handling the Lectionary, etc.).
- Is faithful to the schedule of assignments and helpful in assuring that all the parish community’s liturgical assemblies are adequately served with this ministry.
- Participates in rehearsals of ceremonial procedures in the parish community.
- You will perform all tasks with dignity and reverent.
- You will be faithful to the schedule and arrive on time.
- It will be your responsibility to find coverage if you are not able to make your scheduled weekends. You are also let the Sacristan know if you are not coming and who your replacement is.
- Participates in rehearsals of liturgical procedures in the parish community and follows liturgical norms for this ministry as guided by the G.I.R.M. and the decision of the Pastor.