The purpose of this ministry is to celebrate Communion of the Sick with parishioners who are unable to attend regular liturgy. This ministry provides the sick and home-bound a sense of community and belonging.
Your Responsibilities will include:
- Filling in a volunteer application form first and returning it to Pastoral Associate. You have an interview with the Pastoral Associate before you start. This Position is a High Risk position; therefore, a police check will be needed to be coming and you need at least three references.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Once all steps of your interview, references and police checks are completed you will be invited for training. Once you have completed your training you will be assigned a partner.
- Contact the parishioners to arrange a convenient time for the visit.
- Prepare all necessary items such as; prayer cards, Pyx, Holy Eucharist, etc. prior to the visit.
- Prayerfully meditate in preparation for a meaningful visit.
- Before Mass you are to see the Sacristan and let him know how many Hosts you will need for your visits.
- During Mass just before communion you will be called to the Altar. You will give communion. You will receive a blessing and given your Pyx. You are to leave right away to give communion to those that you are visiting.
- Ensure the parishioner(s) is/are prepared and ready to receive the Eucharist and pay particular attention to their special needs.
- Conducts the Communion of the Sick with each parishioner and distributes Holy Eucharist to them following the Ritual text: “Communion of the Sick, Ritual and Pastoral Notes for Lay Ministers” (CCCB Publications)
- Ensure all is well with the parishioner before departing.
- This is not a social call you are not there for lunch and treats.
- Please return the Pyx and other supplies to either the Sacristan you are able to between Masses. If you arrive back during Mass, please return the Pyx to the Porter who will give it back to Sacristan for you.
- Must always work in pairs or in a group.
- Check the schedules and special assignments prepared for Extraordinary Minister of Communion to Homes/Institutions and be sure to notify the Coordinator in case of scheduling conflict.
- Observes confidentiality with private matters of those who are visited.
- Never accepts monies or other forms of remuneration for their service.
If interested, please contact the Parish Office at 416-364-0234.