We are pleased that you wish to become an Altar Server for St. Michael’s Cathedral Basilica. This is an important ministry which enhances the celebration of Mass. Altar Serving is one of the ways our young people can begin to live out their Baptism promises by serving others and witnessing to their faith in Jesus Christ. By serving at the Altar and assisting the priest, Altar Servers have the opportunity to celebrate the Mass with more active participation. In our parish, any boy or girl between grades 4-12 can become an Altar Server. The Ministry of Altar Serving happens on a rotating basis. Each server is provided with a schedule and proper training. Scheduling is flexible.
Your Responsibilities will include:
- Filling in a volunteer application form first and returning it to Pastoral Associate. You have an interview with the Pastoral Associate before you start. This Position is a Low Risk position; therefore, a police check is not needed.
- Performs special tasks with dignity and otherwise participates fully as an exemplary member of the assembly.
- Assists with the preparation of the sanctuary and sacred vessels before the Liturgy and their proper care afterward.
- Uses and cares for various items used in the Liturgy (cross, candles, incense, sacramental, etc.).
- Prepares altar or assists in doing so before the presentation of the gifts.
- Assists with books and other altar accessories as needed.
- Responds to special circumstances that may arise during the Liturgy.
- Exhibits responsibility by serving when scheduled and taking part in rehearsals.
If interested, please contact the Parish Office at 416-364-0234.