Extraordinary Ministers of Communion
As an Extraordinary Minister of Communion at St. Michael’s Cathedral Basilica, you will serve in the Eucharistic life of the community.
Your Responsibilities will include:
- Filling in a volunteer application form first and returning it to Pastoral Associate. You have an interview with the Pastoral Associate before you start. This Position is a Low Risk position; therefore, a police check is not needed.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You are to arrive at least 15 minutes early. Dress in appropriate church attire and wear a robe for communion. You are to always wear a collared shirt with the robe. You are not to wear open toed shoes in the summer.
- During the Rite of Communion, you are to help the Priests share the Eucharist.
- You will participate in the mass from beginning to end.
- You will Sanctuary during the Rite of Communion after the sign of Peace.
- You should attempt to make eye contact when raising the Host and saying “The body of Christ.”
- For those wishing to receive only a blessing, this is done by holding a hand over their head and saying “May God blesses you”. Do not make the sign of the cross over them.
- You will be prepared to respond to any special circumstances that may arise during the Liturgy.
- You will perform all tasks with dignity and reverent.
- You will be faithful to the schedule and arrive on time.
- It will be your responsibility to find coverage if you are not able to make your scheduled weekends. You are also let the Sacristan know if you are not coming and who your replacement is.
Participates in rehearsals of liturgical procedures in the parish community and follows liturgical norms for this ministry as guided by the G.I.R.M. and the decision of the Pastor.
If interested, please contact the Parish Office at 416-364-0234.